All those interested in getting involved in the production aspect of the Film Society, now is the time to make sure we know who you are! If you intend to enter a production stream in the Film and Media course you will be needing portfolio credits to your name; here is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for! Even if you somehow got stuck in the Commerce Faculty but you know you really belong on or behind camera, it’s time to speak up!
Send a mail with your name, cell and student number to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “FILMSOC PRODUCTION TAB” and we’ll add you to our dedicated production tab for 2012.
What we’ve got planned for 2012:
- The ever-growing annual SHOTTIES short film competition offers great hands-on experience to all those keen beans out there. Check out some of last year’s films here, and watch the website and Vula Tab for updates.
- Workshops. We plan on holding skills development workshops to help budding filmmakers bring their ideas to life, from preproduction through to shooting and post. The first of these will occur within the framework of the Shotties film competition, and will be mandatory for those wishing to use the gear we provide.
- Film Society Productions. Now something that actually has a name, but has been around for a while. We’ve been covering events on campus and generating content for our YouTube channel for years, such as the somewhat controversial 2011 Sixes by Sevens sporting event video. This year we’re stepping up our game and are looking for talented people in all areas of production to share the work (and fun!) of this arm of the society.
- External production opportunities, whenever and in whatever forms they may occur. Last year a number of production opportunities came to the society’s attention and we made sure our members knew about them first.
- Industry speakers. Cape Town is home to a remarkably active film and advertising industry. We hope to get some of the movers and shakers of the industry to come chat to you guys, but we will rely on your enthusiatic responses to invites to gage the interest level. Can’t have Clint Eastwood come chat to an empty lecture theater next time he’s in town now can we?
So that’s pretty much what we’re about, and of course if you have ideas, whether for events or your very own production, let us know and we’ll be in touch!